Friday, April 22, 2011

Frozen in Time

This is a common sight around our city-old empty buildings that have been left to rot and ruin. It's so heartbreaking because there are so many fabulous old buildings that bring so much character to this town, if only someone would breathe new life into them...make them useful and productive again. Something that can serve the community once more. But so many of them remain like this. Frozen in time.

But here's the thing. The people here are the same way. I mentioned before this is a town that seems to be drying up and dying because all the young people flee so it's full of citizens of the older generations and they of course tend to be stuck in their ways and see no real need for much change. Again, heartbreaking when they are missing out on so much more life, and here's a perfect example:

The church I attend is a Muskogee institution, it was built in 1903 and I think some of our members helped start this church!(Okay so they were infants and their parents helped start it, but you get the idea some of these people have gone to this church their whole lives-literally.) My Mom always jokes about a member of her Sunday School class who is always fussing about our preacher's "antics." Now we are beyond blessed to have a spirit filled believer leading this church. Lance is younger, so he has a lot of fresh, new ideas that break a lot of the typical molds (we are Baptists, if that tells you anything!) But I never leave a service he leads without feeling inspired and closer to God. He is also very accessible and very transparent in his weakness and shortcomings. In short this man is one of the most genuine men of God I have met in my life.

But back to my Mother's classmate, as funny I have found these comments in the past I find them funny no more because you see, I thought this person was just a bit uncomfortable by some of the things Lance does, but after a conversation they had with my mother last night I see that it's much deeper than that. This person really dislikes his teaching, and wishes he would go elsewhere. Knowing however that he is here to stay-at least for the immediate future-they refuse to seek out another church that might better suit their needs because they have attended this church since they were a baby.

Frozen. In. Time

I grieve for this person because I cannot imagine they are getting fed at all with that attitude so what is becoming of their relationship with God? Is there any growth, any new life? Or is it becoming stagnant? And it makes me grieve for the church because I see the potential it has to impact and change this city-but how can we as a body become all that God has in store for us if many of the congregants are hanging on so tightly to the past and not willing to trust God enough to take a chance and break out of their comfort zones?

Today is Good Friday. Christ made the ultimate sacrifice in the face of great opposition from leaders who were more determined to hang on to the past, the law and their assumptions rather than experience a personal encounter with the God they claimed to serve. Sunday we get to celebrate the Resurrection, the fulfilment of the law which broke all the molds, called people out of their complacency and ushered in new life for us in our relationship with God while on earth and eternal life thereafter.

So I ask you today, are you frozen in time or are you looking for more? If you don't already know him, find a church this Easter, and find Jesus. He alone can breathe new life into you, make you useful and productive. A person with purpose who can serve those around them; and I promise-you won't miss the past one bit.

2 comments:

Natalie LeGrande said...

Frozen.In.Time
I so get that. I really appreciate your story of the older member of your church and their discomfort at change. I have been challenged large and small lately with just that simple thing.... CHANGE. I see that as a way to rediscover ones self and their creator in union with the life that they lead.... but i am one of those wippernsnappers..... I don't have a solution for those other members...
Or Lance, just keep believing and reaching!

PS: This is cool Sister! love to see and read your writing again.. hope we get some of your poetry ..please??

Anonymous said...

Nicole -

I just happened upon your FB posting today about your blog,but there are, of course, no accidents in life. It has been so long since we spoke, but I must say your writing spoke to my heart. My best to you always...Looking forward to more...Judy in Nashville